Scala Tech Lead (Engage Team)
Endowus is Asia’s leading fee-only digital wealth platform. Licensed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and Hong Kong Securities & Futures Commission (SFC), Endowus is the first digital advisor in the region to span both private wealth (Cash) and public pension savings (CPF & SRS in Singapore), helping all investors grow their money with expert advice, institutional access to financial solutions, low and fair fees, and a delightful personalised digital wealth experience.
Our clients entrust us with a responsibility that goes far beyond technology or financial markets - they entrust us with their wealth - their livelihoods and ambitions of a better future for themselves and their loved ones. Our mission is clear: help people invest better so they can live easier today, and better tomorrow.
The people you will work with
The team has deep domain knowledge in finance and technology, bringing together decades of experience at Morgan Stanley, Amazon, JPMorgan, UBS, Goldman Sachs, Blackstone, Vanguard, ANT, Fidelity, McKinsey, Grab, ByteDance, and many others. See our leadership team here. We practise inclusion and treasure our diversity in background and experience. A diverse team is our biggest asset and we look for people who share our belief in Endowus’ clear mission.
Investors, recognition, licensing
Endowus is backed by global leading strategic and venture capital investors including UBS, SoftBank Ventures Asia, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Samsung Ventures, Prosus Ventures, EDBI, ZVC, Singtel Innov8.
Endowus’ leadership and growth have been recognised by the industry and it has attained numerous awards including Singapore’s Rising Star and Fintech Innovation in Asset Management, CEO of the Year, CIO of the Year (Asia Asset Management’s Best of the Best Awards 2022), Singapore’s Fintech Startup of the Year (The Asset Triple A Digital Awards 2022), LinkedIn Top Start-ups 2021, Forbes Asia 100 to Watch, WealthTech of the Year (Asia FinTech Awards 2022), Top 15 Singapore’s Best Workplaces Award and Top 100 Asia’s Best Workplaces Award 2022 (Great Place to Work).
About the team
The Engage team's mission is to help Endowus clients grow their wealth by delivering a personalized, learning-focused experience. To deliver on this mission, the team brings together engineering, design, data analysis and product thinking to build rich, interactive, engaging, educational experiences within our mobile/web apps and beyond. We are a full stack team of frontend and backend engineers that builds our systems using cloud native patterns and operates them with high standards of engineering & operational excellence.
We are looking for someone with significant experience in designing & delivering multiple high impact initiatives, to join us as a hands-on tech lead for this team.
About this role, responsibilities & ownership
- You will work on consumer-facing products delivered through iterative development, facilitating fast customer feedback loops.
- You will take ownership of system design, development, deployment, monitoring, infrastructure, and production support.
- You will need to demonstrate a strong product sense and be empathetic to clients' experiences of using the product.
- You will work closely with Product, Design, Marketing, and other stakeholders to ensure iterative delivery of customer value.
- You will also drive continuous performance & scalability improvement work to ensure we continue to meet our non-functional goals as our business grows.
- You will need to leverage the entire technology stack to realise these goals and continuously tackle questions of architecture flexibility & scalability while guarding against over-engineering.
- You will mentor and grow other engineers in the team, empowering them to achieve high levels of productivity, quality, and reliability.
- Bachelors' or above in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- At least 5 years of experience building scalable backend services (not data pipelines) in Scala.
- At least 2 years of experience as a tech/project lead, facing business users directly.
- Experience with agile processes, automated testing, CI/CD, and production error/metrics monitoring.
- Strong team and project leadership; Self-driven, has a strong sense of ownership.
- Comfortable with numbers and motivated by steep learning curves
- Being a team player is key. We are a small but growing team, and we believe in building an environment that fosters a sense of belonging for all of our employees.
Good to have
- Experience working in a B2C domain.
- Basic knowledge of finance and trading
- Exposure to CQRS / Event Sourcing patterns
- Experience with Lagom/Akka frameworks for building microservices.
- Solid understanding of infrastructure (e.g. databases, message queues, Docker)
Benefits & perks
- Stock options in a fast growing company *
- Employee discount for investing at Endowus
- Flexible working hours and locations so you can live life and your best work - you are trusted to be responsible
- Competitive Staff Benefits; Annual leave, Life & Medical Insurance, Flexible Benefits Allowance *
- Office Productivity Equipment; Omnidesk Standing Desk & Ergonomic Chairs, Dell UltraSharp USB Type-C Monitor, high-end computer peripherals
- Choice of latest Apple or PC equipment
- Additional S$250 /HKD 1450 budget for your favourite hardware to boost productivity *
Note: * is only applicable to Full-Time employees
- Email subject: [Role you are applying for], [Your name]
- Attach your CV
- Content portfolio — Original content creation (English and Traditional Chinese), translation (English to Traditional Chinese), any marketing/social media samples
- Cover letter in body of your email
- Requirement for credit bearing
- Notice period (if any)
- Current location
- Visa assistance for role location? (Y/N)