Senior Backend Engineer (Numerical Engineering)
Endowus is Asia’s leading fee-only wealth platform. Headquartered in Singapore, we are the first digital advisor to span both private wealth and public pension savings (CPF & SRS), helping everyone grow all their money with expert advice, institutional access to financial solutions, low & fair fees, and a delightful personalised digital wealth experience.
Our clients entrust us with a responsibility that goes far beyond technology or financial markets - they entrust us with their wealth - their livelihoods and ambitions of a better future for themselves and their loved ones. Our mission is clear: help people invest better so they can live easier today, and better tomorrow.
The people you will work with
The team has deep domain knowledge in finance and technology, bringing together decades of experience at Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Credit Suisse, The Blackstone Group, AQR, Grab, Dropbox, Lyft, Redmart, Carousell, Bytedance, Grab, Kakao, Alibaba, and more. See our leadership team here. We treasure our diversity in background and experience, and we look for people who share our belief in our clear mission.
Investors, recognition, licensing
Endowus is backed by UBS, Samsung Ventures, Singtel Innov8, and global leading venture capital firms Lightspeed Venture Partners and SoftBank Ventures Asia.
Endowus has been recognised by the industry with the following awards: Singapore’s Rising Star and Fintech Innovation (Asia Asset Management’s Best of the Best Awards 2021), and WealthTech of the Year (Asia FinTech Awards 2021).
Endowus is licensed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
About this team
The Numerical Engineering Team develops sophisticated systems that compute various statistics, time series, and financial performance benchmarks, all to bring better value per investment to our customers. While certain mathematical knowledge is required in order to successfully navigate the logic behind the computations, we are primarily an engineering team responsible for making sure our systems have high throughput, performance, scalability and resilience. We also aspire to be self-sufficient in DevOps matters.
About this role; responsibilities & ownership
- We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer who thrives in a fast-paced environment and enjoys driving innovation through iterative development.
- You will need to leverage Event Sourcing systems (Scala) and take significant ownership of systems design, development, deployment, monitoring, infrastructure, and production support.
- You will also drive continuous performance & scalability improvement work to ensure we continue to meet our non-functional goals as our business grows.
Requirements & qualifications
- Bachelors' or above in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- 5-8 years of experience developing distributed systems and building larger infrastructure setups from scratch
- Strong experience with multiple languages including at least one JVM language like Scala (preferably), Kotlin, or Java.
- Experience with shell scripting is essential. Familiarity with Rust will be quite useful.
- Self-driven, has a strong sense of ownership and able to work and learn independently
- Interest in mentoring and guiding Junior Engineers and promoting best practices across team boundaries
Nice to haves
- Managed mission-critical products, e.g. trading platforms, medical applications
- Basic knowledge of finance and trading
- Understanding of basic statistical concepts
- Knowledge on how to debug and resolve issues down to the network level
- Exposure to CQRS / Event Sourcing patterns and reactive programming
- Experience in managing Kubernetes clusters and declaring infrastructure as code (Terraform, etc.)
- Experience in Cassandra and PostgreSQL databases
- Experience in QA and load testing
- We are open to hiring remotely in Asia time zones.
Benefits & perks
- Stock options in a fast growing company *
- Flexible working hours and locations so you can live life and your best work - you are trusted to be responsible
- Medical insurance (with dental!) *
- The opportunity to work with smart, curious, deeply caring people
- We care about your health and productivity:
- Omnidesk Standing Desk
- 32 inch or 42 inch 4K Dell UltraSharp USB Type-C Monitor
- Multiple-choices of high-end mechanical keyboards, mouses and ergonomic chairs
- Apple/PC equipment
- S$250 budget for your favourite hardware to boost productivity *
- S$20 budget for weekly team lunch
- Regular team outings (before COVID-19)
- Employee discount for investing at Endowus; All the investment advice and help you may ever need (books, reports, access to investment professionals)
- Market competitive total compensation package
- A shelf full of books from Personal Finance to Software Engineering
- Awesome office view and cosy environment at 158 Cecil Street (ex-Airbnb Office) yet everyone works hard
Note: * is only applicable to Full-Time employees
How to apply
Everyone can be an Endowus client. If you are not yet a client, please create an account to understand our services and technology, and can see if our mission is something that aligns with your personal beliefs. We value your feedback on our product and will ask you for your insights throughout the interview process.
To apply email email@example.com with the following details:
- Email subject: [Role you are applying for], [Your name]
- Attach your CV
- Cover letter in body of your email
- Desired salary/package
- Notice period (if any)
- Current location
- Visa assistance for role location? (Y/N)