Senior/Staff Data Engineer
Endowus is Asia’s leading fee-only digital wealth platform. Licensed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and Hong Kong Securities & Futures Commission (SFC), Endowus is the first digital advisor in the region to span both private wealth (Cash) and public pension savings (CPF & SRS in Singapore), helping all investors grow their money with expert advice, institutional access to financial solutions, low and fair fees, and a delightful personalised digital wealth experience.
Our clients entrust us with a responsibility that goes far beyond technology or financial markets - they entrust us with their wealth - their livelihoods and ambitions of a better future for themselves and their loved ones. Our mission is clear: help people invest better so they can live easier today, and better tomorrow.
The people you will work with
The team has deep domain knowledge in finance and technology, bringing together decades of experience at Morgan Stanley, Amazon, JPMorgan, UBS, Goldman Sachs, Blackstone, Vanguard, ANT, Fidelity, McKinsey, Grab, ByteDance, and many others. See our leadership team here. We practise inclusion and treasure our diversity in background and experience. A diverse team is our biggest asset and we look for people who share our belief in Endowus’ clear mission.
Investors, recognition, licensing
Endowus is backed by global leading strategic and venture capital investors including UBS, SoftBank Ventures Asia, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Samsung Ventures, Prosus Ventures, EDBI, ZVC, Singtel Innov8.
Endowus’ leadership and growth have been recognised by the industry and it has attained numerous awards including Singapore’s Rising Star and Fintech Innovation in Asset Management, CEO of the Year, CIO of the Year (Asia Asset Management’s Best of the Best Awards 2022), Singapore’s Fintech Startup of the Year (The Asset Triple A Digital Awards 2022), LinkedIn Top Start-ups 2021, Forbes Asia 100 to Watch, WealthTech of the Year (Asia FinTech Awards 2022), Top 15 Singapore’s Best Workplaces Award and Top 100 Asia’s Best Workplaces Award 2022 (Great Place to Work).
About the Team
The Client Interactions & Insights Platform team builds and operates the scalable data platform that powers data analytics and business intelligence for better decision making at Endowus. Working with colleagues in Data Analytics, Growth, Marketing, and Operations teams, the data engineering team creates data solutions that provide them with performant, near real time access to internal & third party data and insights.
We are a full stack team that builds our systems using cloud native patterns and operates them with high standards of engineering & operational excellence.
About this role, responsibilities & ownership
- Lead technical design, delivery, reliability & security of our core data platform.
- Work closely with the Product team, other Engineering teams, and stakeholders in Data Analytics, Growth, Marketing, Operations, Compliance & IT Risk to achieve our business goals.
- Strive for high levels of technical quality, reliability, and delivery efficiency.
- Mentor and grow a small talented team of junior data engineers.
- Bachelors' or above in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
- At least 6 years experience in designing and implementing highly scalable, distributed data collection, aggregation, and analysis systems built for handling large volumes of data in the cloud.
- At least 2 years experience as a tech lead facing business users directly and leading technical initiatives
- Significant hands-on experience building and optimising data pipelines for data collection, transformation, aggregation in Apache Flink or Apache Spark, using dependency and workflow management tools such as Airflow, operating in a public cloud environment like AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Advanced SQL knowledge and strong experience working with relational and non-relational databases.
- Experience integrating BI tools such as Tableau, Mode, Looker, etc.
- Experience integrating data sources using REST and streaming protocols, especially using Kafka.
- Strong grasp of at least one of the JVM languages such as Java, Scala.
- Experience with building systems & processes to handle data quality, data privacy, and data sovereignty requirements.
- Experience with agile processes, testing, CI/CD, and production error/metrics monitoring.
- Self-driven with a strong sense of ownership.
- Comfortable with numbers and motivated by steep learning curves.
- Has a strong product sense and is empathetic to customers' experiences of using the product.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Domain experience in a B2C context is a strong plus.
- Knowledge of finance, wealth, and trading domain.
- Some exposure to CQRS / Event Sourcing patterns.
- Experience with AWS or GCP, Cassandra, Kafka, Kubernetes, Terraform.
Benefits & perks
- Stock options in a fast growing company *
- Employee discount for investing at Endowus
- Flexible working hours and locations so you can live life and your best work - you are trusted to be responsible
- Competitive Staff Benefits; Annual leave, Life & Medical Insurance, Flexible Benefits Allowance *
- Office Productivity Equipment; Omnidesk Standing Desk & Ergonomic Chairs, Dell UltraSharp USB Type-C Monitor, high-end computer peripherals
- Choice of latest Apple or PC equipment
- Additional S$250 /HKD 1450 budget for your favourite hardware to boost productivity *
Note: * is only applicable to Full-Time employees
- Email subject: [Role you are applying for], [Your name]
- Attach your CV
- Content portfolio — Original content creation (English and Traditional Chinese), translation (English to Traditional Chinese), any marketing/social media samples
- Cover letter in body of your email
- Requirement for credit bearing
- Notice period (if any)
- Current location
- Visa assistance for role location? (Y/N)